VIET FILM FEST 2018
Viet Film Fest Director
About Viet Film Fest & VAALA
Viet Film Fest was started in 2003 by VAALA and has grown to become the largest international Vietnamese film festival in the world that showcases the best creative work by and about Vietnamese people. Now running successfully for over a decade, Viet Film Fest (VFF) has expanded to draw an annual onsite audience of over 5,000 and a global fanbase. Viet Film Fest has drawn Academy Award nominated directors from France and Canada, as well as films from Israel, Japan, Brazil, and Germany. Through the universal language of film, Viet Film Fest brings together multiple perspectives to expand the scope and horizons of Vietnamese cinema.
The Vietnamese American Arts & Letters Association (VAALA) is a nonprofit in Orange County, CA with over 25 years of experience connecting and enriching communities through Vietnamese art and culture.
Reports to: VAALA Board of Directors and Executive Director
Location: Orange County, CA
VAALA is seeking an inspirational leader and skilled manager to direct a passionate team of staff and volunteers in creating a successful film festival. The Viet Film Fest Director will oversee all planning, operations, and programming for the 2018 film festival, scheduled for October 12-14, 2018. Other duties may include fundraising, marketing, and community outreach. The ideal candidate will have arts programming experience, a love of film, and be able to thrive in a flexible, creative environment.
- Working with the Board of Directors to establish festival objectives and goals
- Developing procedures and guidelines to streamline festival planning, operations, and programming
- Ensuring VAALA’s mission, values, and vision are followed at all times
- Recruitment, training, and supervision of staff and volunteers
- Work with curator to develop programming for festival
- Manage project finances to make sure program stays within budget
- Day-of-festival logistics
- Develop and implement plan to reach fundraising goal
- Outreach and cultivate relationships with donors/sponsors
- Spokesperson on behalf of VAALA and Viet Film Fest in all media interviews, community partners, and to the public
- Responsible for reviewing all communications to the public
- Establish measures of success to ensure festival objectives are met
Beginning of March 2018 to December 2018
Approximately 20 hours a week **More hours may be required the week prior to and during festival dates
- Bachelor’s degree or higher
- Demonstrated success in leading arts and/or community programming
- Experience in managing program finances and supervising staff/volunteers
- Proficiency in cultivating meaningful relationships with filmmakers/industry reps, donors, and community members
- At least 2 years of film festival experience
- Competency with Microsoft Office Suite, Google Suite, and social media
- Outstanding organization skills and attention to detail
- Self-starter with an ability to independently manage multiple projects
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- Working knowledge of the Vietnamese community
$12,000 (Paid in 3 installments)
How to Apply
Please send resume and cover letter detailing your interest and qualifications for the position to email@example.com. The deadline to apply is March 31, 2018.
VAALA is an equal opportunity employer.