YOUTH IN MOTION: A WORKSHOP FOR EMERGING FILMMAKERS
PROJECT DIRECTOR JOB DESCRIPTION
JOB TITLE: PROJECT DIRECTOR
LOCATION: SANTA ANA, CA
POSITION TYPE: CONTRACT
CONTACT: YSA LE, EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
DEADLINE TO APPLY: July 6, 2018
DURATION OF PROGRAM: July 14, 2018 -December 1, 2018
Founded by a group of Vietnamese American journalists, artists and friends, Vietnamese American Arts & Letters Association (VAALA) is a community-based, 501(c)(3) non-profit organization. VAALA has organized numerous cultural events such as art exhibitions, book fairs, book signings, recitals, plays, lectures, the biennial Viet Film Fest (ViFF) and Gallery Beyond Walls. VAALA also offers free art workshops for non-profit youth organizations in the Orange County and Los Angeles areas.
VAALA is seeking an innovative and passionate Program Director for its annual Youth In Motion: A Workshop for Emerging Filmmakers Program. Established in 2014, Youth in Motion is a series of skills-based workshops led by filmmaking mentors and professionals to support youth voices, stories, and perspectives in the community through the art of digital films. Over a 12-week period, 25 novice youth participants, between the ages of 15-25 years old, will learn basic skills and tools for digital filmmaking and work collaboratively to produce short films to premiere at Viet Film Fest on October 12-14, 2018 at the AMC Orange 30 (Outlets of Orange). The screening will be free and open to the public.
This year’s Youth in Motion program focuses on the themes of social justice to encourage participants to think critically about the world we live in and how to use storytelling and filmmaking as a way to highlight our diverse communities in Orange County.
The Program Director will lead in the coordination, implementation, and evaluation of the program. They will work with artist mentors, YIM participants and the VAALA leadership team to ensure program fidelity.
Must be willing to commit to YIM from July to December 2018.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Oversee participant recruitment and application process
- Coordinate and facilitate 12 weekly workshops in accordance with the Youth in Motion framework and curriculum
- Track and manage program budget, including purchase of program materials and equipment
- Recruit, manage, and communicate with YIM participants, artist mentors and volunteers
- Work with YIM artist mentors to schedule and develop workshop focus and structure
- Serve as point of contact for YIM community contacts and collaborative partners
- Track program data and produce a summative report on program outcomes
- Create marketing materials to highlight the program (e.g., social media, press releases, commercial, etc.)
- Work with Viet Film Fest staff to produce the special Youth in Motion screening at Viet Film Fest 2018
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Experience with film production highly desired
- Experience with high school and college age youth highly desired
- Excellent interpersonal and communication
- A passion for arts as a tool for social and community transformation
- Passion for storytelling
- Access to own mode of transportation
- Willingness to work independently and as a member of a team
- Bilingual (English/Spanish or English/Vietnamese) highly desirable
- Ability to multitask and manage deadlines
- Ability to motivate and engage students
- Experience with social media platforms (i.e. Twitter, Instagram, Facebook) and video conferencing apps
This is a contract position, with a stipend of $4,000 paid in monthly installments.
Please email resume and cover letter to email@example.com.